Aela is probably the best CNB 66 on the planet!
She was launched from the CNB factory in Bordeaux, France in early 2018 (Hull # 4) and shipped to New Zealand. She has always been professionally maintained by full time crew and her presentation is better than a new boat. She is based in Auckland, New Zealand and ready for her next adventurous owners. Aela has cruised around New Zealand and the Pacific and served her owners and crew well, proving this Briand designed 66-footer is a perfect long-range, blue Water sailing yacht. CNB set out to create a safe and fast yacht with excellent finishes, high quality equipment and ease of handling.
No expense has been spared to keep this yacht in pristine condition and the owners and crew completed an extensive Upgrade refit in early 2020. List of works carried out is listed below.
|Location||Auckland, New Zealand|
- Reference Number
- CNB 66
- Hull Material
- Infused Vinyl ester composite construction. New topsides paint 2020- Grey and Hexis Oyster grey boot stripes.
- Auckland, NZ
- Vessel Name
- Launch Year
- 5,51 m
- 2,40 m
- 32,000 kg
- Keel / balast
- Cast Iron fin and lead bulb (9.65T)
- Philippe Briand
- FR CNBZS004B818
- Engine Make
Volvo D4- 180HP upgraded from standard 150HP engine
- Engine Hours
- 180HpPupgraded from standard 150HP
- Fuel Capacity
- 2 x 650 L aluminium tanks
- Fuel Type
- Onan MDKDR-8202A 17.5 Kw/h diesel generator (upgraded from 9kw standard)
- New Brunton 4 blade 26” x 19” varifold propellor with rope cutter
- Bow Thruster & Stern Thruster (both quick electric/ retracting thruster with dedicated battery bank. Wireless remote)
- The CNB 66 has an exceptionally clean and simple deck layout, providing good areas for entertainment as well as dedicated and functional sailing areas. The central guest cockpit has excellent protection from the elements including spray dodger and bimini with side curtains.
The cockpit also features comfortable seating areas with large dining table that is electrically adjustable, drinks fridge and storage areas. Cockpit cushions included.
Aela has a teak laid deck, flush deck hatches and high-quality deck fittings throughout. The sailing hardware is all Harken, including the upgraded electric winches as follows:
- 2 x Harken Performa ST60 at Mast base for halyards etc. Electric, 1 x 3-speed
- 2 x Harken Performa ST 70 electric primaries
- 2 x Harken Performa ST 60 electric secondary winches
- 1 x Harken Performa ST 60 Mainsheet winch on island (upgraded to 3-speed)
- Custom remote control for electric winches
- Winch buttons located suitably in the cockpit
The helm stations on the aft deck are very ergonomic and have comfortable helm seats and pedestals for when standing up to helm. Both stations feature engine and thruster controls.
Swim Platform and Tender Garage: The transom lowers to create a large swim platform and water toys area, plus access to the tender. Included is a swim ladder, tender cleats, and tender launching apparatus. An Opacmare Hydraulic gangway is also fitted in the transom, and this extends to 1.9m stern too access.
The tender garage is a watertight locker with sliders and electric winch for launch and recovery. Access from on deck is via a large deck hatch.
- CNB designed the 66 to perfectly accommodate the Williams 345 Jet Tender, and it can be launched and retrieved in a few minutes. The tender has suitable safety gear.
- Ground Tackle
- Aela has a fixed Carbon Bowsprit with Bobstay and the anchor launching system is incorporated inside. The anchor is an Ultra Stainless-Steel anchor with 100m anchor chain, electric windlass with remote and deck wash (fresh/ salt water). A retractable capstan is also fitted on the foredeck.
- Aela’s interior accommodation is open and full of natural light.
The interior finish is known as “Albe Ambience” from the CNB factory which is a Limewashed European Oak timber with open grain and satin varnish Oak floorboard. There are 4 guest cabins with owner’s cabin forward, two guest cabins amidships and comfortable aft cabin that can be set up as another guest cabin or for crew.
Saloon: The main saloon is just 6 shallow steps down from the cockpit and is considered a pilot house. There are comfortable lounges both sides (Starboard Side has convertible day bed) and a proper dining table to port. The sofa Upholstery is Pierre Frey leather. The full-size windows of the saloon provide great connection to the outside but for privacy these widows feature concealed blinds. There are also hatches in the cabin top for natural ventilation with blinds/ screens.
The dining table is modular and has motorized raise/lower function to cater for either canapés or fine dining. When dining, the starboard side sofa in-fills make up the additional seating around the table.
Mounted on a swivel bracket on the starboard bulkhead is a 42” TV which is connected to the yachts entertainment system, and opposite on the port side is chart plotter, VHF radio etc for navigation and communications.
The engine room is located directly below the main saloon. The floorboards raise on hinges and are insulated from noise and heat.
Owners Cabin: The owners cabin forward is full beam with large hull windows and a walk around double bed facing aft. There is a desk/ dressing table plus great storage in surrounding wardrobe cabinetry and carpet is fitted in this cabin. The bed has lee-cloths for when at sea and like the rest of the interior, the lighting throughout has been upgraded including lamps. The cabin also features large Ensuite forward, 40” TV, safe and air conditioning.
Midships Guest Cabins: There are two cabins on either side of the centreline passageway. These are very good “sea” berths as they set up with Lee clothes and are close to the middle of the boat. Both cabins have separate air conditioning control and hull windows. The port side VIP guest cabin has convertible large Twin/ double bed arrangement, and good sized Ensuite and hanging locker. The Starboard cabin has twin bunk beds, good storage and ensuite which doubles as a day head.
Aft Cabin: The aft cabin is located off the galley to starboard and is designed as either an additional guest cabin, or crew cabin depending on usage of the boat. This cabin also has the choice of double or twin beds, large ensuite with separate shower stall and air conditioning.
Bathrooms: All bathrooms onboard Aela are finished with white with Corian bench tops on Oak cabinets, large, mirrored shaving cabinets with built in lighting, Tecma Electric, FW flush toilets and heated towel rails.
- Air Conditioning
- 2 x 50,000 BTU Reverse Cycle Air Conditioning units to service saloon and all cabins. Independent control in each cabin and main saloon.
- TV in owner’s cabin and saloon. Yamaha audio equipment in saloon and cockpit. Omni max TV/ FM aerial mounted on the top of the mast.
- The galley on the CNB 66 is aft of the main saloon to port but is still cleverly connected to the main entertainment area via servery and wide passageway. The galley is spacious, ergonomic, has excellent storage and ventilation and runs parallel to the centreline making it an ideal galley for use at sea.
Galley equipment includes Miele Appliances:
- Gimballing Cooktop with custom Stainless-Steel pot rack on stove top
- Wall mount convection oven/ microwave
- Upright SS fridge/ freezer with additional 160L Freezer in galley
- Washing machine/ Drier
- Wine Fridge for 23 bottles
- Water Capacity
- 2 x 500 L in new stainless-steel tanks
- Water Maker
- Sea Recovery 220V Aquamatic 280/hr unit. 167 hrs (July 2021)
- Safety Gear
- Safety gear to be audited, but boat is set up for Cat 1 Ocean safety, and MCA approved for commercial operation in Europe. Liferafts, EPIRB, MOM man overboard module, Electric and manual bilge pumps, MCA Approved foghorn, engine room air inlet shut offs, mast lights, firefighting system etc.
- Sail Inventory
- Sails supplied by Doyle Sails NZ:
- Doyle Stratis Mainsail 3-reef
- Doyle Stratis Furling Headsail
- Doyle Stratis Furling Staysail
- Doyle Furling Code Zero with hydraulic furler
- Gennaker with snuffing sock
- Storm sails. Trysail hoists on its own track
- Mast Rigging
- Aela has a Hall Spars Carbon mast that is Deck Stepped, has three sets of aft-swept spreaders and rod rigging. The twin forestays creating a cutter rig (Headsail and Staysail) are fitted with Profurl 24v Electric furlers. Other features on the mast include Whisker pole, trysail track, Gennaker/ code Zero rigging including hydraulic CO furler, all necessary sheets/ tacklines etc and all aerials finished in black. The V- boom is also from Hall Spars and both are finished in clear carbon and lacquered. The boom has lazy jacks fitted to collect the mainsail, single line reefing system makes sail control easy and mainsail cover fits in boltrope track to completely cover mainsail from the elements whilst not in use. Navtec Vang, backstay and Outhaul sailing functions are controlled via wired or wireless remotes.
- General Remarks
- Jan- May 2020 Upgrade Refit works List in Auckland NZ. Beyond what is listed in the above inventory, please find details of the latest yard period:
• Topsides painted (waterline to toe rail) in Awl grip Haze Grey- originally the boat was gelcoat
• Boot Top painted Awl craft 2000 light grey
• Rotomolded freshwater tanks replaced with 316 stainless steel tanks
• Sound proofing added to forward saloon bulkhead and behind the water tanks while removed.
• New propeller shaft sent from CNB and fitted as well as new propellor
• New Jefa rudder bearings and seals fitted
• New water maker membranes supplied by Sea Recovery
• Service transom door and hydraulic rams
• New shower sump pumps
• New cockpit cushions - Sunbrella acrylic canvas black
• New cockpit dodger with side curtains - Sunbrella acrylic canvas black
• New cockpit extension cover - Sunbrella acrylic canvas black
• Mast removed, fully serviced, rigging tested etc.
Disclaimer: Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure the accuracy of information provided, details are intended as a general guide to the vessel and its contents. Details are supplied by sellers and the accuracy of those details cannot be guaranteed by Vicsail.