Ideal family weekender or Ocean cruiser
A true ocean-going Motor Yacht: The Matthew Flinders is suited for anyone looking for a family passage maker.
This vessel remains a jewel in the story of Australian Motor Yacht Design and construction. Designed and built to the highest quality by Norman R Wright & Sons as a pilot vessel, for the Queensland government. After twenty years superb service to the Brisbane pilots, the Matthew Flinders was sold to private ownership where a careful and sympathetic conversion to an elegant custom motor yacht followed. This was completed by Sydney Shipwrights David Moore and Kevin Furze and she found a new home on Sydney’s Pittwater.
The current owners and custodians (12 years) have explored most of the East Coast of Australia. They also donated the boat for several years to the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club to act as start boat and Radio Relay Vessel for the Pittwater-Coffs Yacht race.
Matthew Flinders the man, was a true adventurer and Australian Pioneer navigator.
Matthew Flinders the boat, is beautifully presented, well maintained and Ready for Adventure.
5 Reasons to buy this boat
- Built to Survey as a fast, offshore vessel to handle any conditions.
- Conversion to very comfortable accommodation
- Refits and upgrades to most systems
- Fully protected bridge with excellent visibilty
- Historic charm with modern comforts
|Accommodation||8 guests in 4 cabins|
- Reference Number
- Government Fast Pilot Vessel
- 75 ft Norman Wright
- Hull Material
- Glass/ epoxy sheaved and polyurethane painted Triple-planked Queensland Maple
- Pittwater NSW 2108, Australia
- Vessel Name
- Matthew Flinders
- Launch Year
- Deck Material
- Glass/ epoxy sheaved and polyurethane painted plywood over laminated timber frames
- Norman Wright
- Millkraft Brisbane
- Registration Number
- Engine Make
- Caterpillar 3406BTA
2 x Caterpillar 3406BTA engines.
Wesmar active fin stabilisers with hydraulic PTO on starboard engine, electronic gyro system
Hydraulic PTO’s on both main engines for hydraulic system onboard (steering, anchor windlass, stabilizers)
Four fabricated aluminium fuel tanks located in engine room with approximate capacity of 10,000 Litres. Fabricated aluminium hydraulic oil tank with filter system
Racor filters with additional fuel polishing pump and filter
OilSep pumping system for lubricating oil transfer & removal
- No of Engines
- Engine Hours
- Estimated 5,000 hrs
- 460 Hp Each
- Fuel Capacity
- Approx. 10,000L in 4 tanks
- Fuel Type
- Maximun Speed
- 15 knots
- Main Generator ONAN 16KVA diesel located aft end of engine room Night/ Back-up Generator ONAN 7.5KVA diesel located in lazarette
- 2 x 4 bladed 24 x 32 NFM propellers. 2 x 2 3/4” K Monel shaft drives with Tides Marine dripless seals.
- Side Power 24v Bow Thruster
- All Custom Stainless-Steel bollards, fairleads and fittings, and full height hand rail around bow and side decks. Side boarding via Stainless Steel and teak tread boarding ladder (optional dock stairs) Forward end of superstructure contains storage compartments for LPG gas bottle stowage, ropes and equipment. Integrated sun lounge in forward end of superstructure. Bronze forward hatches provide access to fore-peak and anchor locker.
- 2016 3.5m Mercury Quicksilver RIB
- 4 stroke 30hp, electric start Honda outboard
- Ground Tackle
- Hoey-Fry hydraulic anchor windlass with deck and wheelhouse controls. 100 metres 5/8" short link anchor chain with 70kg CQR type anchor shackled direct. Spare 70kg CQR type anchor, 30kg CQR anchor with 50metres of 5/8" chain. Assorted towlines and mooring lines appropriate for the vessel
- New covers
- Accommodation for 8 guests in 4 cabins (3 forward, 1 aft).
Enter the forward accommodation via companionway stairs from the galley. Forward accommodation includes-
Double cabin to starboard with suitable storage shelves for guests
Double bunk cabin to port
Double V-berth forward cabin with hanging locker, book and storage shelves
The forward accommodation has a shared guest bathroom located port side. Equipped with Jabsco 24v electric macerating marine toilet with valve system for discharge to sea or to Minisan treatment unit. Vanity unit with full size basin. Enclosed shower compartment with sump and electric pump
Enter the aft accommodation via companionway stairs from the main salon.
Aft accommodation includes-
Owners double cabin with suitable storage, hanging locker and dressing room.
Owners ensuite compartment located on aft side of aft engine room bulkhead to starboard, with access door to engine room. Equipped with Jabsco 24v electric macerating marine toilet with valve system for discharge to sea or Minisan treatment unit. Fabricated vanity with full size basin. Shower compartment with sump and electric pump. Domestic washing machine & dryer.
Wine cellar/ large storage area aft of the owner’s cabin
- Air Conditioning
- 3 x Air Conditioning in main salon, owner’s cabin and fore cabins.
- Fusion marine Stereo sound system with phone/ MP3 dock. Satellite television system – Foxtel ready.
- Located starboard side midships area of main deck, equipped with:
St George LPG five burner cooktop Fisher & Paykel electric oven Sanyo Microwave oven Watson & Skogg two door eutectic fridge Stainless steel bench tops and double bowl sink Suitable cupboard and drawer storage
- Water Capacity
- 2,500 Litres
- Hot Water System
- 200 Lt Dux
- Safety Gear
- Suitable Life jackets for 15 plus PAX
8-man Life raft mounted on flybridge
Set of Signal Flags & 1 X V Sheet
2 x EPIRBS
Comprehensive bilge pumping system
1 X First Aid Kit
1 X Inflatable tender
- 240v AC via Generator and shore power
AC Changeover switching system located in wheelhouse
Shore Power connections for single and three phase supply
New batteries installed December 2018 for house system and main engine start. All new batteries are Enirgi 12V 220Amp Hour
Engine Batteries- 2 X 12v batteries in series for starting banks for each main engine
Generator Batteries- 1 X 12v starting battery for each diesel generator House Batteries (24V system)- 2 x banks of 4 x 12v batteries.
1 x 12v battery for electronics and radios located in wheelhouse 2 x 12v batteries in series to provide 24v for electronics and navigation equipment in wheelhouse 2 x 12v batteries in series to provide 24v for davit and swim platform, located in lazarette.
4 x 12V batteries in series to provide 24v for bow thruster
All battery banks charged by engine alternators and generator via 240v battery chargers. Chargers: Xantex True charge II 24v 30A in engine room (house and engine batteries), e-Power 24v 30A (bow thruster batteries)
- Simrad system for navigation including:
1 x 12” Plotter- NSE 12 with East Coast Charts, GPS and 18nm Radar
1 x Wind Instrument display- IS 20 and Horizontal MHU mounted on the Flybridge mast
1 x Ericsson 4G modem with Wi-Fi for onboard internet. Aerial mounted on flybridge mast and KNS Satellite TV system
1 x Course Master 650 Autopilot 1 x Furuno GPS receiver (1997) 1 x Furuno FAP 300 Autopilot (1997) 1 x Suunto magnetic compass 1 x Icom IC-M412 VHF transceiver 1 x Furuno FS-1550 AU SSB Radio (1998) 1 x Fusion marine Stereo sound system with phone/ MP3 dock
- Mast Rigging
- Stainless steel integrated mast and awning support over flybridge. Radar scanner, aerials etc, searchlight and navigation lights located on integrated mast and awning structure. Outrigger drop launch Stabilizers for at anchor
- General Remarks
- Well set up for lounging, there are 2 large sunbeds up top and another on the foredeck.
The aft deck has a hardtop cover and added protection of Strata-glass clears. This area accommodates a large dinning table for 8, BBQ, access to side deck and flybridge via ladder and access to swimming platform.
The open plan saloon connects to the aft deck via double doors. Seating is made up of fixed and moveable leather upholstered sofas with Queensland Maple dining table.
A corner cabinet with 24V bar fridge/ freezer and Television on movable stand with a satellite television system. Verosol pleated semi-transparent blinds on all salon windows
Disclaimer: Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure the accuracy of information provided, details are intended as a general guide to the vessel and its contents. Details are supplied by sellers and the accuracy of those details cannot be guaranteed by Vicsail.