The Moody 54DS is a special yacht offering a single level sailing and living space, with three generous guest cabins each with own ensuite.
The innovation in design from Bill Dixon is seen throughout the yacht which has led to creating a very safe and reliable cruising yacht, and Flight Mode is an excellent example with very recent and extensive upgrades.
Flight Mode is a luxurious and spacious cruising yacht which can be easily managed by a couple and will safely take you across oceans or simply out for a day sail! The single level, indoor/ outdoor
connection is the highlight. These yachts do not come to market often in this part of the world, so a must-see boat!
- Reference Number
- Flight Mode
- Moody / Hense Yachts Germany
- Moody 54 DS
- Hull Material
- $ 1.400.000
- Hobart, Tasmania
- Hobart TAS, Australia
- Vessel Name
- Flight Mode
- Launch Year
- 5.2 m
- 2.65 m
- 24,500 kg
- Keel / balast
- L-Shaped cast iron keel with stainless steel keel bolts
- Bill Dixon
- Moody / Hense Yachts Germany
- Engine Make
Volvo D3 150hp Diesel engine with hydraulic gear box.
Controls at both helm stations and inside station.
- Engine Hours
- Fuel Capacity
- 760 L in two tanks and passage tank 270 L
- Fuel Type
- Fischer Panda 11kw Diesel
- 3 blade folding prop
- Drop down type with toggle control at both helm stations and dedicated 24v battery banks (2 x bow thruster batteries new Sept 2021), fuse upgraded to 30amp, and battery isolation switches added
- The deck has a full perimeter bulwark complete with continues stainless steel handrail, so it is an incredibly safe platform for ocean sailing or for families. Side decks are covered in teak and there are Lewmar flush deck hatches throughout.
Deck gear includes:
- Lewmar deck hardware and 2 x Lewmar 65 ST Stainless Steel electric winches
- 6 retractable mooring cleats
- Spinlock deck jammers
- Stainless steel side boarding ladder
- Deck shower with hot/ cold water
- Hydraulic Fold down swim platform and large under deck storage, swim ladder
- The tender is a 3m Highfield Classic Alloy bottom RIB stored on custom-made Stainless-steel davit system on the transom door. The door closes and lifts the tender out of the water.
- Ground Tackle
- 40kg Lewmar anchor and 130m of new 13mm chain. 2000w anchor vertical windlass is mounted on the foredeck and anchor chain locker below. Recent upgrades to the anchoring system from standard are: new self-launch, extended anchor roller; muir anchor chain counter and remote at starboard helm station; new chain and deck switches forward; deck wash pump fitted to anchor locker
- Retractable Bimini, Removable Full sun covers for cockpit table and helm stations.
- The interior is finished in satin Mahogany timber joinery, light fabric headliners and Acacia timber floorboards. The dark grey “Devon Anthracite” contrast cushions create a warm but modern feel.
The pilot house accommodation area comprises a large dinette aft/ starboard plus a comfortable lounge with electric raise/ lower table forward. Positioned aft and to port is a navigation station with all nav equipment at hand, and the entire space benefits from 360-degree views. A pop-up flat screen TV is also located in the saloon. The centreline opening hatch and roof skylights provide excellent through air flow at anchor and the sliding cockpit doors with integral wash board opens the whole salon to the cockpit.
Cabins: The generous owner's cabin positioned forward offers multiple opening hatches and the centre line skylight as well as hull ports with access to the private ensuite with separate shower stall.
The owners cabin features its own TV, desk, and generous storage. It can be closed off to the rest of yacht providing great privacy for relaxing, or if required as an office space whilst at sea. Down the companionway forward leads to the lower-level galley offset to Starboard. There are also two generous cabins and two bathrooms. Access to the third cabin is via the aft companionway behind the navigation station.
The VIP guest cabin is located to port opposite the galley and has a Queen-sized bed running thwart ships. The layout provides a large floorplan for this cabin and the ensuite bathroom is also well proportioned and includes a shower. This cabin also benefits from large hull ports and hatches and all accommodation areas are air conditioned and have Ocean Air blinds.
The aft twin cabin is located to port under the cockpit. Access to this area which includes a guest/ day head and shower is via the stairs aft of the navigation station and is well set up for accommodation at sea.
Bathrooms: all the bathrooms are finished with Mahogany joinery as per the rest of the yacht, white painted surfaces elsewhere and Corian bench tops with raised basins. The day head has a salt water flush Jabsco Electric toilet and the two forward bathrooms feature Jabsco Electric FW flushing toilets. All stainless-steel fittings tapware.
- Air Conditioning
- 48,000 BTU system with air Handlers in saloon and all cabins
- 2 x Digital flat screen TV’s (Saloon and Master cabin), Fusion MS AV700 stereo radio/ CD/ DVD/ USB dock. 4 x Internal speakers in headliner and 2 x Bose external speakers.
- The galley is to starboard down just a few steps and is a fore and aft layout which is perfect for life. The space is full of light and well connected to the rest of the vessel thanks to it being open
to the saloon. The finish in the galley is Mahogany cabinets and Corian bench tops, and the large hull windows add extra light and a great view!
Galley comprises of a large double sink with infills, gimballing Stainless Steel 3 burner gas stove and oven, microwave oven, Isotherm double entry fridge plus additional fridge, front load dishwasher, coffee machine and suitable cupboard and draw storage.
- All Isotherm DC fridges. Additional to above mentioned are cockpit fridge and deep freezer in starboard lazarette.
- Water Capacity
- 810 L in two tanks plus additional 50 L bladder in the locker
- Safety Gear
- Loose Equipment to be audited during survey but suitable for offshore passage making.
- Bilge Pumps
- Electric and manual bilge pumps with highwater alarms fitted in bow, stern and midship areas
- Life Raft
- 4-man Life raft
- Life Jacket
- 4 x Life jackets suitable for offshore sailing
- Fire Protection
- Fire Extinguishers throughout
- The electrical system onboard Flight Mode is 12V/ 220V and has had recent upgrades to better manage the system, including the installation of Sentinel Yacht Management System (remote monitoring via mobile phone) which is integrated with the C-Zone monitoring already fitted. The system is controlled from a Moody custom switch board located in the saloon.
The 12V system is made up of 8 x 165AH AGM (new Sept 2021) plus engine and generator start batteries. Also fitted is a 12-220V 2560w inverter/ charger (charge 120amp).
The 220V system operates via shore power (additional shore power cable/ input for Air Con). Generator or inverter and there are outlets throughout the boat.
LED lighting throughout. Overhead lighting in cabins, saloon, galley, and heads. Lighting in engine compartment. Reading lights in saloon and cabins. Red Night light on companion way.
LED Navigation Lights 220V 40L Quick Nautic Hot water heater with engine heat exchanger.
- Raymarine Electronics package with speedo, depth, wind, GPS, AIS inputs. Instruments include:
- 2 x Raymarine GS120 chart plotters. One on each helm station
- 4 x Raymarine i780 displays. Two on each helm station
- 1 x Raymarine Pilot control on starboard helm station
- 1 x Raymarine GS90 chart plotter in Nav station plus standalone pilot control
- 1 x Raymarine Evolution Autopilot
- Raymarine 260 VHF radio with second handset and Class B AIS Transponder
- Icom HF radio
- Raymarine Broadband Radar mounted on mast
- Raymarine CP100 Sonar with CHIRP Down Vision
- Sail Inventory
- The working sails on Flight Mode are Elvstrom FCL tri radial cut spectra.
- fully battened in-boom furling mainsail
- Cruising Yankee genoa on forestay furler
- Self-tacking staysail on inner forestay furler
- North Trysail and Gale sail storm jib
- Mast Rigging
- Flight Mode is fitted with a 7/8th, cutter rigged Selden Alloy mast with two sets of aft-swept spreaders and Dyform rigging. Both the forestay and inner forestay are fitted with Furlex electric furler’ s. The Boom is carbon fibre Southern Spars electric furling boom painted silver to match the mast finish. Other items to note: Alloy whisker pole for poling out headsail; All in one aerial on masthead for VHF, FM, TV; All halyards and running rigging are complete for sailing.
- General Remarks
- List of recent works available.
Disclaimer: Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure the accuracy of information provided, details are intended as a general guide to the vessel and its contents. Details are supplied by sellers and the accuracy of those details cannot be guaranteed by Vicsail.