1987 Americas Cup Australian Defender
A very noteworthy and historic sailing yacht that has had a detailed refit to an incredible standard.
She presents like a new 12 Metre, with a lot of attention paid to restore the equipment rather than replacing.
She was the 12 Metre selected to defend the America’s Cup for Australia in 1987.
The third yacht built by Kookaburra Challenge (Task Force 87), constructed by the team in Perth, Western Australia in 1986.
She won the final defender series comfortably, but unfortunately was defeated by Stars and Stripes in the Final of the America’s Cup in 1987.
A year later the team attended and won the 1988 12 Metre World Championship in Lulea, Sweden.
Kookaburra III is now available, and ready for another World Championship win!
5 Reasons to buy this boat
- Detailed refit to an incredible As New standard
- Entire hull finished in original metallic gold Urethane paint
- Adjustable mast, Carbon fibre boom
- B&G WTP Processor for processing of all input data
- Novamarine Rigid Inflatable Tender with 2 x Volvo TAMD 41200CV stern drive diesel engines - additional purchase
|Boat type:||International 12m|
- Hull Material
- Monfalcone, Italy
- Vessel Name
- Kookaburra III
- Launch Year
- Deck Material
- Keel / balast
- Iain Murray and John Swarbrick
- Parry Boat builders- Task Force 87
The Kookaburra III tender is the perfect support vessel! Please review details, offers welcome for complete package of yacht and chase boat.
Type: Novamarine Rigid Inflatable
Length: 10m (33ft)
Engine description: 2 x Volvo TAMD 41200CV stern drive diesel engines
Location: Monfalcone, Italy
- The deck gear all completely removed during the refit and re-used where possible or replaced with modern Harken or Lewmar equipment including all genoa, vang and traveller tracks which are Harken as well as replacement blocks where required.
- Novamarine Rigid Inflatable
- 2 x Volvo TAMD 41200CV stern drive diesel engines
- Electronics: Kookaburra is fitted with a B&G WTP Processor for processing of all input data at a much higher speed than a regular processor, hence very good instrument data.
The date gathered via the following in inputs:
- 2 x paddle wheels for boat speed (port and starboard)
- Depth and temperature sensor
- MH unit fitted to top of mast
- WTP rate gyro compass
- Halcyon compass
- Load cell pin for forestay load
- String pot sensor for trim tab position
- Furuno GP-37 GPS
The data is displayed via:
- 2 x H3000 GFD’s mounted on deck
- 2 x 20/20’s mounted in mainsheet island
- 5 x 20/20’s on the mast
- Any tablet or computer connected to wifi onboard, additional items include Linksys Wireless
- - 2x 12V Rolls Engineering S12-95 AGM house batteries
- Mastervolt 12V/25Amp battery charger for when non shore power
- 8 x Breaker switch board with voltage meter
- Marco Marine 28L/ min Electric Bilge Pump with float switch and high-water alarm
- Electric flush Jabsco marine toilet
- Watertight USB sockets
- 2 x 220V GPO when on shore power
B&G WTP Processor
- Sail Inventory
- original fractional, 2 spreader (with jumpers) alloy rig which has been completely re-fitted and painted. All new standing and running rigging fitted.
The mast is adjustable fore and aft at the deck to ultimately control the sail plan in various conditions. As such, the mast has sliders fitted at deck level to alloy it to move in the collar.
New Stainless steel tie rods have been fitted to link the standing rigging to the actual chain plates which are underdeck. All underdeck rigging systems have been updated including through deck sheave boxes, tackle blocks and all lines.
- Mast Rigging
- Boom: Carbon fibre boom with original vang set up and outhaul ram fitted.
Disclaimer: Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure the accuracy of information provided, details are intended as a general guide to the vessel and its contents. Details are supplied by sellers and the accuracy of those details cannot be guaranteed by Vicsail.